rebuilding blog website with distill

I built a distill blog site that has been working well, with an example page here

But I recently made some edits to a couple of posts, and rebuilt the site.
Now all works except the home/index page, which is now blank.

when i build the site now, it seems to have a successful build, but the new home page does not show up in the RStudio Viewer tab, and the index.html will open in a browser window, but be blank.

Only significant change was to styles.css

Repo is here

Really puzzling, which probably means I did something silly.

Any ideas? any recent changes in distill or pandoc?

This may be related to Distill site cannot rename index.html anymore - #2 by dataning

This led to a solution - apparently this is due to an update in Rmarkdown which broke something in distill's ability to build the landing page of websites. Installing the dev version of distill from GitHub will fix this, and now the index.html page will build properly.

Just FYI- the take-home message - anyone updating their rmarkdown and using {distill} - you can get a weird bug where

  • your website appears to build fine (no errors) but
  • your Viewer tab will be blank after the build (normally shows index.html, your landing/home page)
  • after you push your website, your index.html page appears blank (other pages load fine)

but this is fixable by updating updating to the dev version of distill.
Not an obvious fix, but it works.

See Distill site cannot rename index.html anymore - #2 by dataning

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.