Unable to select 32-bit R version in RStudio v1.2.1047-1 Preview

I am just unable to select 32 bit R version.
I use RStudio v1.2.1047-1 Preview on Windows and R 3.5.1.
Rstudio just silently sets 64 bit R, with no error messages.

3 Likes

Does the 32-bit version work for you in vanilla R, but not in RStudio? (see FAQ below for disambiguation)

1 Like

We've removed support for 32-bit versions of R in RStudio v1.2. Is there a specific reason why you need to use the 32-bit version of R?

2 Likes

Same issue here, I'd been trying to select R 32-bit using 'Browse…', or make it the default by uninstalling R 64-bit.

The reason required R 32-bit is my work PC only comes with the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver (32-bit), and I use RODBC to connect to the database.

There is a 64-bit version of Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, but I haven't located it on Microsoft's site, only a reference to it:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/odbc/reference/odbc-64-bit-information?view=sql-server-2017

I'd be uneasy installing it as it seems 32-bit and 64-bit drivers can't co-exist p.20-22, so I'm unsure how it might impact other applications (my PC runs Office 2010 Professional, use ODBC driver for Excel and SQL Developer):

1 Like

I'm actually in a similar situation as @mark_devlin. Our work IT administration has standardized on 64-bit Windows and 32-bit Office, and we have had a need to use RODBC to connect to Access databases :zipper_mouth_face:. I'm unclear on whether we could replace RODBC with odbc for this purpose or not, and how that might interact (or not!) with R builds.

Maybe an easier link than the RODBC docs, the R for Windows FAQ discusses the issue:

The considerations can be more complex: for example 32/64-bit RODBC need 32/64-bit ODBC drivers respectively, and where both exist they may not be able to be installed together. An extreme example is the Microsoft Access/Excel ODBC drivers: if you have installed 64-bit Microsoft Office you can only install the 64-bit drivers and so need to use 64-bit RODBC and hence R. (And similarly for 32-bit Microsoft Office.)

4 Likes

Some issue here. Rstudio 1.1 is fine with select 32 bit/64 bit R version.
But Rtudio 1.2 is only able to select 64 bit R version if both 32/64 was installed.

2 Likes

Based on @kevinushey’s post above, this is not a bug:

You've removed support in the preview, or going forward 32-bit is no longer supported?

I'm in the same boat as others here. Connecting to my Oracle server I need to use the 32-bit ODBC driver. This is really unfortunate.

3 Likes

At this point, we're no longer planning to support 32-bit versions of R in version v1.2.

RStudio is the IDE I have used for the past four years in developing a wide variety of R scripts, some of which interact with MS Access databases using 32-bit ODBC drivers. The decision to stop supporting 32-bit versions of R is most unfortunate for those like me who have no choice but to use 32-bit R when using 32-bit ODBC drivers. I will not be able to use RStudio version 1.2 to maintain any of the scripts concerned. This is a retrograde step in the development of such a good IDE IMHO.

7 Likes

Please, make it available to work with a 32-bit R version along with RStudio v1.2 and above. Thanks for supporting Stan on those versions. Unfortunately, I am stuck at work with a 32-bit driver to access data with RODBC.

3 Likes

Sorry for the "me too", but this indeed means that we will be unable to use RStudio 1.2, and will have to stick with 1.1 for as long as it is supported. The reason is the same: we have to play nice with with MS Access data, and we use 32-bit MS Office now and for the next 5 years at least, therefore we cannot completely switch to R x64.

2 Likes

I am also stuck in an environment where I must have access to the 32 Bit version of R in order to query off of 32 bit ODBC drivers. Please add the functionality back.

@kevinushey was this changed with the final version? I have the same issue - even using ODBC, I can't access the 32 bit version of microsoft access using the 64 bit version of R (I have 64 bit windows 10, 32bit access 2016 (which I can't change).
I was really hoping to upgrade to 1.2, but without the ability to use 32bit R, I can't access my databases.
FYI: When I try to setup the connection to the DSN when 64 bit R is connected, I get this error

#setup connection
omni_db <- dbConnect(odbc::odbc(), "Market_Database")

#Error
#Error: nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:950: IM014: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN #contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

Everything works perfectly when using 32bit R.

1 Like

I need access to 32 bit version to connect to databases too. I have similar issues as users above of not being able to map to 32 bit version of R.

1 Like

I too would like 32 bit support.
I found myself in a catch 22. I would like to use python with RStudio specifically for the arcpy package. I need RStudio v1.2 for python support, however I need 32 bit architecture for python 2.7 (for arcpy).

2 Likes

I am also stuck with a 32 bit RODBC Connection. Without 32-bit support, I would not be able to use RStudio 1.2.

1 Like

This is absolutely an issue for us as well. We use the 32-bit RODBC connection as well. It sounds like we will be forced to remain on RStudio 1.1 or find a different IDE which is disappointing.

1 Like

This is a really bad and sad new...
I need R 32-bit for the same reason

1 Like

Same problem. I need 32-bit R to call my model which uses .Fortran() to call a Fortran DLL. It doesn't work under 64-bit R (doesn't recognise the 64-bit version of the DLL).

1 Like