RStudio IDE not opening on Windows 10 when run as administrator

I'm using RStudio IDE 2022.07.2 Build 576 on Windows 10 Enterprise Build 19045.

Due to IT policy issues I have to run RStudio as administrator (so loading packages will work).

However, after recently trying to update RStudio, running as administrator no longer works. When I try and open RStudio as administrator, it simply doesn't open (yet I can see the RStudio process in windows task manager).

Interestingly, If I don't run as administrator, RStudio opens as normal (but I really need to open it as administrator to carry out my work).

I've tried updating to RStudio-2022.12.0-353 and RStudio-2023.03.0-386 but the same issue applies.

When I re-install RStudio-2022.07.2-576 then running as administrator works no problems.

Has anyone come across this?

Or any clues on what might be going on?

Update on 15/02/2024

The solution:

Right click the RStudio shortcut > Navigate to the Shortcut Tab > Add --no-sandbox to the end of the Target field so it looks like "C:\Program Files\RStudio\rstudio.exe" --no-sandbox

Then running as administrator should work. It does for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.