plotly output not displayed in viewer

Hello all - First time post. Hope to find some help on some issues I've been having after updating to Rstudio 2024.04.1 build 748 earlier this week.

My plotly code was written in a previous version of Rstudio, and used to run perfectly, and the plot would be displayed in the Viewer pane. But now that I updated R, Rstudio and the plotly package, the code runs without returning an error, but the Viewer pane is blank and empty. I can find the plot with Export > Save as a Web page, save it, and it opens fine a browser window, but (obviously) it would feel easier to have it displayed directly in the Viewer pane like I used to. The plot is also generated correctly and embedded when I compile the report. So to my understanding, it should mean that the code in itself is OK.

Inspect element > console returns a handful of errors: "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (not found)" and "Failed to load resource: net: : ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED"... So I am guessing the Viewer pane or my R session is not set up correctly somehow when I updated? I uninstalled and re-install R and Rstudio a couple of times now, but no luck unfortunately.

After looking around online, I also "played around" with Global options > R Markdown > Show Output Preview, and specified "Viewer Pane". I also unchecked "show output inline for all Markdown documents". But the Viewer Pane is still blank and empty :frowning:

I hope it is an easy fix. I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, and if I made a mistake somewhere along the install process. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance. Steph

For reference, I am using
R version 4.4.0 (2024-04-24 ucrt)
Rstudio 2024.04.1 build 748
plotly 4.10.4
My understanding is that they all are the latest versions.

here is a simple example of a typical chunk of code I am running:

library(plotly)
df <- read.csv("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/plotly/datasets/master/violin_data.csv")
fig <- df %>%  plot_ly(
    y = ~total_bill,
    type = 'violin',
    box = list(visible = T),
    meanline = list(visible = T ), 
    x0 = 'Total Bill'  ) 
fig <- fig %>%  layout(yaxis = list(title = "",  zeroline = F))
fig
1 Like

You mentioned the R Markdown settings. If you run your code chunk in the RStudio console (or as a .R script file), does it work?

It works fine for me (latest versions of R and RStudio), with the caveat that if I source the script containing your code it creates but does not display fig. If I then ctrl-click the last line or run fig in the console, the plot shows up in the viewer. (This is in my experience normal. When I source a script that ends with an output line, I typically have to rerun that line to get the output, whether text or image.)

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, I am having the same issue and error messages while trying to generate a plotly plot with the RStudio viewer with the same versions of R, RStudio, and plotly, and using windows 11 build 22631.3593, were you able to figure out the issue?

UPDATE: updating to R version 4.4.1 (2024-06-14) fixed the issue for me

1 Like

I have been using RStudio and plotly for ~10 years. It worked fine yesterday and today the same symptoms that are described here a minimal reproducable example is as follows.

library(plotly)
fig <- plot_ly(x = 1:10, y = 1:10, type = 'scatter', mode='markers')
show(fig)

That code produces no visible plot in the viewer though the "Remove current viewer item" becomes active. As stated earlier if I save as result as webpage I can view it in the browser. If I save it as an image it comes out as a white rectangle. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Rstudio just to see if anything would be different. Nothing was. Still does not work.

Could this be related?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.