Commenting on RStudio Connect reports

I'm wondering if there are common ways for a team to comment on reports published on RStudio Connect directly. Some options may be:

• Overlaying hypothes.is-type commenting and annotation on RSConnect, either by embedding the associated Javascript in RMarkdown reports, injecting it to all reports via some wrapper (e.g., this), or having users install a browser extension. One drawback to this is that requires users to sign up for another service, and for private reports, another set of logins to manage.
  • Relegate discussion to an associated GitHub repo (esp. for git-backed reports), or some other chat
  • Some future, native commenting capability
4 Likes

I haven't heard of hypothes.is before, but it looks promising! I'm going to dive deeper.

I was having a similar sort of thought process in my head a few weeks ago - how to recreate the MS Word "add comment" workflow in HTML outputs for my non-coder colleagues.

@vergilcw, @eric, @Tanner - any ideas or additions?

1 Like

Seems like it might be possible to self-host a hypothes.is server via docker-compose. https://github.com/hypothesis/h/issues/4899

This could alleviate some concerns about privacy and account creation.

Hi @noamross! I'll let others from the team weigh in here with ideas as well, but will also log this as a feature request for RStudio Connect

3 Likes

Hey @noamross!

@apreshill and I have been playing around with some of these features on RStudio Connect.

I have a minimal working example on RStudio Connect courtesy of utterances . I adapted Miles Mcbain's code from his blog, and only needed to change the repo to my own repo-name.

Example live minimal blog with comments at: https://colorado.rstudio.com/rsc/comments-distill-blog/posts/welcome/

I'll be exploring other options more focused on folks who may not use GitHub, but really happy that I got this working essentially first try!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.