cannot load tidyverse

R version 3.5.2 and RStudio version 1.1.463. MacOS Catalina, version 10.15.5.

Suddenly began receiving errors for the package 'tidyverse' (could not find function) whenever I tried a function within a package that had previously worked. Here are the various functions I ran and their respective errors, in order (note: I ended the session/closed RStudio in between removing any package and installing it). I've also manually deleted the packages from within my computer rather than just in RStudio and it had no effect.

library(tidyverse)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in rbind(info, getNamespaceInfo(env, "S3methods")): number of columns of matrices must match (see arg 2)

remove.packages("tidyverse")
install.packages("tidyverse")
library(tidyverse)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in rbind(info, getNamespaceInfo(env, "S3methods")): number of columns of matrices must match (see arg 2)

allpackages <- as.character(installed.packages()[,1])
sapply(allpackages, function(x) ncol(asNamespace(x)$.__NAMESPACE__.$S3methods))
*code stopped at sapply and received the following error:
Error in rbind(info, getNamespaceInfo(env, "S3methods")) :
number of columns of matrices must match (see arg 2)
Called from: value[3L]

update.packages(ask = FALSE, checkBuilt = TRUE)
only updated some of my packages, and broom, knitr, and shiny had a zero-exit status

install.packages("tidyverse")
library(tidyverse)
Error: package of namespace load failed for 'tidyverse' in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]): namespace 'rlang' 0.4.5 is being loaded, but >= 0.4.6 is required

remove.packages("rlang")
install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/rlang/rlang_0.4.6.tar.gz", repo=NULL, type="source")
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]): namespace ‘vctrs’ 0.2.4 is being loaded, but >= 0.3.0 is required

remove.packages("vctrs")
install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/vctrs/vctrs_0.3.0.tar.gz", repo=NULL, type="source")
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]): namespace ‘tidyselect’ 1.0.0 is being loaded, but >= 1.1.0 is required

remove.packages("tidyselect")
install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/contrib/4.0/tidyselect_1.1.0.tgz", repo=NULL, type="source")

install.packages("tidyverse", dependencies = TRUE)
library(tidyverse)

devtools::install_github("tidyverse/tidyverse")
Error in rbind(info, getNamespaceInfo(env, "S3methods")) : number of columns of matrices must match (see arg 2)

dplyr reports the same error after library(tidyverse) and I don't have the heart to troubleshoot it like I did with tidyverse, and since dplyr is a dependency of tidyverse, I don't know if it would be corrected if were able to get tidyverse to load. I can always uninstall and reinstall R as a last resort (not my preference but would survive).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.