Working with multiple conda environments in RStudio/Quarto

I have a Quarto project with 2 .qmd files, each of them located in a folder with an _environment.local file. Like this:

• Notebook_01/
    • Notebook_01.qmd
    • environment.local
  • Notebook_02/
    • Notebook_02.qmd
    • environment.local

The _environment.local file in each of the folders has only one line, that indicates the python to be used by reticulate. Each of then points to a different conda environment:

RETICULATE_PYTHON="/Users/user/miniconda3/envs/BionfTools/bin/python" (In folder Notebook_01) RETICULATE_PYTHON="/Users/user/miniconda3/envs/PPanGGOLiN/bin/python" (In folder Notebook_02)

This is because in Notebook_01 I want to use tools installed in the BionfTools conda environment and in Notebook_02 I want to use tools installed in the PPanGGOLiN conda environment.

If I do quarto render RETICULATE_PYTHON gets set for the first rendered file and the same python is used for the second file. The same if I render individual files, whatever I use first for that session gets used all the time.

The only thing that worked for me is doing this on the terminal:

cd Notebook_01
RETICULATE_PYTHON="/Users/isabelfe/miniconda3/envs/BionfTools/bin/python"
quarto render
cd ..

cd Notebook_02
RETICULATE_PYTHON="/Users/isabelfe/miniconda3/envs/PPanGGOLiN/bin/python"
quarto render
cd ..

Is there any way to incorporate something like this in the _quarto.yml to indicate a RETICULATE_PYTHON for each .qmd file? Or for each folder if you locate them in different folders?

This will solve the issue of rendering. But, ideally I will like to be able to just run individual chunks of {bash} code while I am developing on R studio so I can alternate between conda environments easily. I tried using use_miniconda() without luck. Also installing environments in each of the folders directly.

Is summary, is there a way to work in R Studio that allows you to move in between conda environments?

Thanks

I am not sure that the _environment.local file is meant to be put inside each folder of a quarto project. This would probably work if each of your folder is an independent quarto project.

As you are using reticulate, I suppose you are trying to configure the python version used by python engine inside your .qmd document using R. You could do that at the document level inside a (setup) chunk. See R Markdown Python Engine • reticulate

That would probably the easiest way for you to manage different python version per document.

Did you try that already ?

I tried what you suggest using reticulate. It works in the sense of running python chunks of code. But what I want is to use tools that are installed via Conda in specific environments, so I run then in bash chunks of code like:

```{bash}
#ppanggolin -h

My solution with the _environment.local files in each folder works if I render via terminal. What I am talking about is a more dynamic way to work in RStudio. I use markdown files (and now quarto files) as notebooks as I am developing bioinformatic pipelines that have tools in different Conda environments and I get forced to run the code directly on the terminal, instead of doing it from the notebook chunks of code as I write the code (conda activate does not work on the bash chances of code)

Thanks

Thanks for the additional information.

It seems to me as a RStudio IDE feature request and improvement. The IDE handles the notebook mode and the interactivity.

I don't know how other IDE like VSCODE works in that regards of interactivity in documents.

You could open a feature request in rstudio IDE github repo, to share your use case if no issue exist already.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.