Working with files in Python

Hi. After years of working exclusively with R, I am dipping my toes into the Python water. I am using free versions of Anaconda and Project Jupyter | Try Jupyter.

Unlike RStudio which sits on my local computer and accesses my local directories and files, I understand that Anaconda and Project Jupyter | Try Jupyter are cloud based and therefore can not access my local directories. Is this correct, or is there a work-around? Although I may have the syntax wrong, I don't believe they are finding my local directories.

I can upload a file to the current working directory in Anaconda and access it, but I assume that file is not going to be there permanently, and next time the working directory may be different. Is there a free solution to getting some permanent filespace within my free Anaconda?

Or is there some other free solution to working with files in Python that I don't understand?

Thank you.

You can download Anaconda with all their provided software including Spyder for Python and R-studio to your computer and access files from your computer.

From my own experience with Anaconda I would recommend downloading a free independent version of Spyder.

By the way, R-studio now supports producing Quarto documents which combine Markdown with Julia (JUPYTER is Julia for Python) and can render documents containing both python and r codes.

Is my issue that I never downloaded Anaconda but instead chose the "Code in the Cloud" version?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.