Using LaTeX math delimiters in Quarto

I would like to use inline LaTeX math delimiters \(...\) rather than TeX style $...$ in Quarto to generate HTML and PDF output files. Is this possible?

This is something allowed by Pandoc by activating the right extension so that single backslash are parsed for math.

However, this is not adviced with Quarto as this could mess up with some feature.

Can you explain more what you need to use \(...\) in the .qmd for Math ?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I see that the reason for using $``$ is that \( and \) already have definitions in Markdown.

I inquired because it is more natural to write equations in LaTeX nowadays rather than TeX. Also coming from org-mode and LaTeX where I have more than a decade of notes, it would be convenient if I could copy some portions over without having to convert each of these documents to Markdown through pandoc first to copy some portion of the notes to a qmd document.

For reference, what pandoc extension allows this and is it possible to use through Quarto at my own risk? I see that some other proposals for using \\( and \\) have been explored (but not taken off), but can't find any extension like you mention.

This would be mentioned in Pandoc's doc. You can try change the setting with Quarto, but it is not that easy to modify a Pandoc's format extension and can be risky indeed.