Unsuported R verion 4.4.1 on shinyapps.io

I am currently trying to deploy an updated version of an app to ShinyApps.io including an update to the renv lock file including a move to R version 4.4.1. Restoring and installing the packages listed in the lock file works fine, but I keep running into the error below after running rsconnect::deployApp() via GitHub Actions:

Error: Error: Unhandled Exception: child_task=1427912448 child_task_status=error: Unhandled Exception: Unsupported R version 4.4.1 for operating system jammy.

Any thoughts on the issue? Is R 4.4.1 not yet installed on the ShinyApps.io servers as it was just released last week?

4 Likes

I'm getting a similar error, I had a successful build at 6pm yesterday, left out a single dependency and added it and went to deploy today and get the following error

Error: Unhandled Exception: child_task=1427994781 child_task_status=error: Unhandled Exception: Unsupported R version 4.4.1 for operating system jammy.
1 Like

Having this issue as well. Just updated R and cannot publish anything.

โ”€โ”€ Deploying to server โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€
Waiting for task: 1428601638
  building: Parsing manifest
  error: Building image: 10661192
## Begin Task Log ##############################################################
## End Task Log ################################################################
Error: Unhandled Exception: child_task=1428601640 child_task_status=error: Unhandled Exception: Unsupported R version 4.4.1 for operating system jammy.
Execution halted
1 Like

Does anyone know what the last supported version is?

When trying to deploy a shiny app to shinyapps.io on GitHub Actions I also got

error: Unhandled Exception: Unsupported R version 4.4.1 for operating system jammy.

For now tweaked my deployment workflow file to setup-r with r-version: '4.4.0'. The whole step looks like this:

- uses: r-lib/actions/setup-r@v2
        with:
          use-public-rspm: true
          r-version: '4.4.0'

This works for now but looking forward to shinyapps.io supporting the latest release.

Since I'm using renv, I realize a better idea is to use r-version: 'renv'.

- uses: r-lib/actions/setup-r@v2
        with:
          use-public-rspm: true
          r-version: 'renv'
1 Like

Any idea on how to specify/force the R version when publishing the application through RStudio? Having no luck generating a manifest file and specifying the platform version within, nor with editing the .dcf file.

For anyone publishing Shinyapps through RStudio, I still have not found a solution for this through config files (renv, .dcf files, manifest file, etc).

However I downgraded the R version of my machine to 4.4.0 and it's now working. You can also use an application called RSwitch to hotswap R versions on your machine. Haven't heard anything from Shinyapps regarding this so I assume they are not supporting 4.4.1 for the time being.

Hi everyone!

Shinyapps.io released support for 4.4.1 yesterday -- please try deploying again and let us know if you have further trouble!

3 Likes

Thanks @stevenolen! I was able to redeploy today.

For future reference: is ~2 weeks a typical turnaround time for ShinyApps.io to start using R patch releases?

In general, it is quite less! Our documentation shows that we strive for 3 days or less -- in this case, we had a problem with our build service that held things up a bit.

In the future, we hope the turnaround to be much quicker!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.