Unable to Run R Studio on Mac

I've been an R Studio user since September 2021. I use a MacBook Pro from mid-2015 running Mojave 10.14.6. Today I tried to run Python in the IDE for the first time, and experienced some issues installing the reticulate package. While troubleshooting I realized I was still running the original versions of R and R Studio that I had installed in 2021, so I downloaded and installed the most recent versions of each. Now when I try to open R Studio, I am suddenly faced with this message:

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2022.12.0+353 "Elsbeth Geranium " (7d165dcf, 2022-12-03) for macOS

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2022.12.0+353 Chrome/102.0.5005.167 Electron/19.1.3 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/libssl.1.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/bin/rsession
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/bin/../Frameworks/libssl.1.1.dylib: cannot load 'libssl.1.1.dylib' (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
	/Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/bin/../Frameworks/libssl.1.1.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1
	/Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/bin/../Frameworks/libssl.1.1.dylib: cannot load 'libssl.1.1.dylib' (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
	/Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/bin/../Frameworks/libssl.1.1.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

Log File

[No logs available]

I have tried installing older versions of R and R Studio instead, going all the way back to the version I originally had installed on my computer. That version will also no longer open. Help! :frowning:

If you are on Ventura, there may be other problems, but this part can be fixed with Homebrew. Go there and download if you don’t already have it, then from the terminal

brew install libssl

and try again. You may have to softlink from where brew installs into the directory path being searched. Come back if you need help with that.

Latest versions of the RStudio IDE require MacOS 11 or higher.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.