R Session Startup Failure Report
RStudio Version
RStudio 2023.09.1+494 "Desert Sunflower " (cd7011dc, 2023-10-16) for macOS
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2023.09.1+494 Chrome/116.0.5845.190 Electron/26.2.4 Safari/537.36
Error message
[No error available]
Process Output
The R session exited with code 1.
Error output:
[No errors emitted]
Standard output:
[No output emitted]
Logs
/Users/jpflores/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-jpflores.log
2023-11-22T14:44:19.463896Z [rsession-jpflores] WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<HttpConnection>, const boost::function<void ()>) src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:135
2023-11-22T14:56:10.683878Z [rsession-jpflores] WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<HttpConnection>, const boost::function<void ()>) src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:135
2023-11-22T14:56:10.683878Z [rsession-jpflores] WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<HttpConnection>, const boost::function<void ()>) src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:135
Did you install R with Homebrew?
I do not, I downloaded from CRAN. I’ve never had this happen before. I also restarted my system and reinstalled both R and RStudio. I also deleted any suspect .RData, .RProfile, etc files.
Another possibility: installed Intel version, not Silicon?
I installed the Silicon version that should be compatible with macOS Monterey (12.2). The RStudio version I downloaded is indicated in the forum post. Pretty frustrating problem
!
Ok, I've felt your pain over the past year.
Here's my setup. I'm using a supported version of macOS (only the current and two most recent are supported) on M1 and M3.
sessionInfo()
#> R version 4.3.2 (2023-10-31)
#> Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
#> Running under: macOS Sonoma 14.1.1
#>
#> Matrix products: default
#> BLAS: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
#> LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib; LAPACK version 3.11.0
#>
#> locale:
#> [1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
#>
#> time zone: America/Los_Angeles
#> tzcode source: internal
#>
#> attached base packages:
#> [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
#>
#> loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
#> [1] styler_1.10.2 digest_0.6.33 fastmap_1.1.1 xfun_0.41
#> [5] magrittr_2.0.3 glue_1.6.2 R.utils_2.12.2 knitr_1.45
#> [9] htmltools_0.5.7 rmarkdown_2.25 lifecycle_1.0.3 cli_3.6.1
#> [13] R.methodsS3_1.8.2 vctrs_0.6.4 reprex_2.0.2 withr_2.5.2
#> [17] compiler_4.3.2 R.oo_1.25.0 R.cache_0.16.0 purrr_1.0.2
#> [21] rstudioapi_0.15.0 tools_4.3.2 evaluate_0.23 yaml_2.3.7
#> [25] rlang_1.1.1 fs_1.6.3
Created on 2023-11-22 with reprex v2.0.2
Not clear, if you installed the Silicon version under 12.2 why session info is showing Intel under 10.15.7. Do you have multiple versions of R installed?
rev/new/R on main [✘?] via 📐 v4.3.2
❯ which R
/usr/local/bin/R
rev/new/R on main [✘?] via 📐 v4.3.2
❯ l /usr/local/bin/R
lrwxr-xr-x 47 root 11 Nov 10:08 /usr/local/bin/R -> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
Ah, good catch... I don't think so?
sessionInfo()
R version 4.3.2 (2023-10-31)
Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Monterey 12.2
Matrix products: default
BLAS: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib; LAPACK version 3.11.0
locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
time zone: America/New_York
tzcode source: internal
attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_4.3.2
(base) jpflores@JPs-MacBook-Pro-1846 .r % which R
/usr/local/bin/R
(base) jpflores@JPs-MacBook-Pro-1846 .r % ls -l /usr/local/bin/R
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 47 Nov 22 17:10 /usr/local/bin/R -> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
Now I'm really confused. Where did the sessionInfo() from the top post come from?
That's from commandline, non-RStudio IDE R
Ok, that makes sense since it can't be coming from RStudio (duh, me). But, but , but, sputter, sputter. Then shouldn't it look like:
> sessionInfo()
R version 4.3.2 (2023-10-31)
Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Sonoma 14.1.1
Matrix products: default
BLAS: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib; LAPACK version 3.11.0
locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
time zone: America/Los_Angeles
tzcode source: internal
attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
for a Silicon?
Yeah, I think my output from my sessionInfo() command up top looks exactly like that... that's why I'm very confused about why RStudio won't open. Here it is again:
R version 4.3.2 (2023-10-31)
Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Monterey 12.2
Matrix products: default
BLAS: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib; LAPACK version 3.11.0
locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
time zone: America/New_York
tzcode source: internal
attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_4.3.2
I thought the Intel thing you brought up earlier was a good point... that output was from the Troubleshooting button that RStudio offers you when it can't start up. I re-installed RStudio and R, making sure I downloaded the right version, and it still isn't working. My next idea is to just download a previous version...?
I just think it's weird that there's discordance between my commandline R's sessionInfo() and this RStudio report 
I often resort to down-versioning. I looked under the hood and got an impression that dev testing is done under an emulator. Not sure. Perhaps this is a Rosetta thing?
Figured it out! I needed to delete a directory: .../.local/share/rstudio/