Unable to format 3 digits to hour format in R

I have been unable to convert 3 digits to hour format in R.I have a column called usage hours in a data frame which is of character type and has values like 138:25:36,24:45:12,230:56:31 etc which are in the pattern of hours:minutes:seconds.Can anyone please help me out here.

It's a bit urgent.So any leads sooner will be helpful.

im sorry but its not clear what you would like these turned into ?
138:25:36 should be ?
24:45:12 should be ?
230:56:31 should be ?

Hours: minutes:seconds

so they should stay exaclty as they are ?

Yes exactly.thats how it should be.

sorry, I missed the part where you said they are character and you want some form of numeric representation.
Use lubridate package like

lubridate::hms("138:25:36")

So will it work for values where the hour is in 3 digits.

yes, it will work for values where the hour is in 3 digits.

Ok.so it should then also work for values where the minutes and seconds are also in 3 digits then.

Let me try and wl revert back in case its not working.Thanks for the help.