Unable to deploy simple Jupyter Notebook to POSIT Connect

Hi,

as a test , I've been trying to deploy a simply Jupyter notebook (it just displays the Iris flower data set from Scikit learn) from the POSIT workbench to POSIT connect.

My Jupyter notebook exists inside a virtual venv environment. I have a requirements.txt file ( pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib and ipykernel) and the jupyter notebook file.

I can deploy using the "Publish finished document only" option ( using the rsconnect-jupyter plugin button ) no problem.

However when I attempt to use the "Publish documents with source code " option I get an error:

“ Error: Bundle creation failed: () missing 1 required positional argument: 'conda' “

I still get the same error, irrespective of whether or not there is a requirements.txt file.

Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong please?

Hi Sidney,

Thank you for your question. This seems like a possible version compatibility issue between rsconnect-jupyter and rsconnect-python. Can you check the versions of those packages you have installed and try updating to the latest?

Thanks @mmarchetti

Inside my python project virtual environment on RStudio I'm using:

• rsconnect-jupyter 1.8.0
  • rsconnect_python 1.24.0

However, I notice in the "Publish to Posit Connect" deployment screen there is some meta data:

rsconnect-jupyter server extension version: 1.7.0
rsconnect-jupyter nbextension version: 1.7.0
rsconnect-python version: 1.14.1

Thank you, that is helpful. It seems like you'll need to update both packages in the Python environment where Jupyter is installed. Since you're running Jupyter within Posit Workbench, you may need to ask your system administrator to do this.

@mmarchetti Hi Michael, do you know if there's a Voila configuration file on a POSIT Connect server where one can edit Voila's default policy in relation to what static files can be uploaded ( for example '.png' files ). On Voila's documentation page ( link ) under "Serving static files" there's some allowable file governance (implemented using regular expressions ) "Unlike JupyterLab or the classic notebook server, voila does not serve all files that are present in the directory of the notebook". Im able to successfully deploy my Jupyter notebook using rsconnect manifest.json file and have it run under a python process, however voila is complaining that "403 GET /voila/files/<my_example_image.png> : File notallowlisted" Its the "File notallowlisted" part that making me wonder if the default voila configuration is blocking .png files, if so I'm wondering how to edit the default config on the Connect server itself.

@Sidney-Bishop You can include a voila.json file in the deployment directory, and Voila will pick it up automatically.