Ubuntu 20.04/Rv4.0 GPU driver load causing blank white screen

So... I have read others experienced the "blank white screen" issue previously. I am not sure what their initiation of the error was, but I believe I have found a "new" one...

I just updated to Ubuntu 20.04, and R v4.0. Everything was running fine, e.g. me updating my packages from 3.6.x, but when I updated my driver to 'see' my GPU, RStudio went into "blank white screen" mode. I tried resetting the state numerous times. I tried removing, purging, rebooting, etc, but still, blank white screen. I doesn't happen immediately, but for all purposes, as soon as you select something, e.g. a script to load, a project to load, or even a simple item like trying to arrange the panes... FLASH, and all goes white.

So, I am not sure what caused others' "white screens of death," but for the moment, i believe the combination Ubuntu 20.04, Rv4.0, and a GPU selection...

What thoughts does the community have?

BTW, before I selected the GPU, packages appeared to be updating, so I really think it's a "graphic" issue...


How can I attach a gzipped version of the .rstudio-directory files?

So now, I have figured something very weird... RStudio will run in my new Ubuntu/R installs, but will only run in the default size / configuration loaded. If I attempt to maximize to fit my screen, flashes white and nothing else. If I attempt to modify pane positions, flashes white and then nothing else.

Is it an Ubuntu issue? Is it an Rv4 issues? Is it a GPU issue? Definitely connected to graphics, but not sure how...

What else can I provide to get some assistance on this?

Hi. I am experiencing the same problem. Have you overcome this issue?
Kindly assist.


I'm having the same issue. Did you get to solve it? Just tried restarting RStudio, changing GPU settings... nothing works.


Just got it solved:

I contacted Nvida directly, and they indicated there's an inssue with the graphic card not being able to go to lower resolution - things are so good, they are too good.

Anyway, they provided the following lines of code to perform a reduction in the resolution:

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60" 138.50 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1083 1088 1111 +hsync -vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP-1-1 "1920x1080_60"
xrandr --output eDP-1-1 --mode "1920x1080_60"

Not sure it will help you, but it worked for me. My resolution was simply too high for RStudio. Fingers-crossed the next update can crank-up the resolution

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.