Trying to build and evaluate a function in R

##################### THE MLE PARAMETERS ESTIMATE FOR 5 PARAMETERS WEIBULL-LOMAX DISTRIBUTION ########################################################################

"logLik.NWL" <- function(θ,x){

n = length(x)  
  α = θ[1]
  β = θ[2]
  a = θ[3]
  λ = θ[4]
  μ = min(x)
  p = (((x-μ)/λ)+1)
  logl <- (n*log(α*β*a))
            -(n*log(λ))
            +((a-1)*(sum(log(p))))
            + (β-1)*sum(log(((p^a)-1)))
            -(α*sum(((p^a)-1)^β))
            return(-logl)
 }

x <- airquality$Solar.R

optim(par=c(1,1,1,1), x = x, fn = logLik.NWL,
      method ="L-BFGS-B",
      lower = c(1,1,1,1), upper = c(Inf,Inf,Inf,Inf),
      hessian = T)

Hi @Yubaba ,

Could you say a little more about what you're trying to achieve and what is going wrong?

I'm trying to find the MLE optimization of the parameters. let me show you my outputs;

as the attachment is showing,
if I run the codes, it doesn't even give output, it stays the same, and the red element that signifies something is still running never disappears until I press enter or escape. this means that there is continuous loop without stop, I think.

you should use triple backticks like

``` 
your code here
```

in order to format your code for the forum; what you shared was not legible.

This is the "stop sign" icon, which appears when R is either busy running your code, or when the code you have provided R is not a complete statement, in which case R is waiting for you complete the statement.

From your screenshot, I can see it would be good to familiarize yourself with the basics of R syntax and how R works, so I would suggest this as a starting place:

and as you work through the basics, you can post again if any questions arise for you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.