tidyverse not loading; xml2 and rvest failing

I can't get tidyverse to install. modules xml2 and rvest are failing to load properly. Root of the problem seems to be that package: libicui18n.so.58 is not being found and is needed for them. That file is not in R packages as far as I can see. Why is it not there?

I found libicui18n.so.58 in another app (anaconda python). Where do I put it so R finds it?

Using R version 4.3. RStudio 2023.06.2.

Another question is are the modules of tidyverse that perhaps were loaded, while xml2 and rvet were not, are they operational?

thanks, tom kosvic

So you are using R from conda? Then the best is to install R packages from conda as well.

Or you are using a non-conda R while conda is active? Then the best is to de-activate conda while you are using R.

I was unaware of any connection between R and conda. After seeing your comment and looking it up, though, it looks like they can be used together in an R environment in anaconda. I do not have such a setup. So I am not using R from conda.

Where do I put the libicui18n.so.58 from anaconda into R so it can be found?

thanks, tom kosvic

Non-conda R does not work with the conda libraries in general. This is why you need to deactivate conda while using non-conda R.

Here is a longer explanation why: igraph failing to compile due to missing libgfortran.so.4 (Arch based Linux) · Issue #275 · igraph/rigraph · GitHub

If you are on a platform that rig supports, I would suggest

1. deactivating conda
  2. installing rig
  3. installing R with rig.

See GitHub - r-lib/rig: The R Installation Manager

@gabor, you were right. I deactivated conda. tidyverse installed completely in R terminal window. It was also available as library in Rstudio. There were some conflicts that I do not yet know anything about yet.
See below for code from RStudio::

> library(tidyverse)
── Attaching core tidyverse packages ─────────────────────────────────── tidyverse 2.0.0 ──
✔ dplyr     1.1.3     ✔ readr     2.1.4
✔ forcats   1.0.0     ✔ stringr   1.5.0
✔ ggplot2   3.4.3     ✔ tibble    3.2.1
✔ lubridate 1.9.3     ✔ tidyr     1.3.0
✔ purrr     1.0.2     
── Conflicts ───────────────────────────────────────────────────── tidyverse_conflicts() ──
✖ dplyr::filter() masks stats::filter()
✖ dplyr::lag()    masks stats::lag()
ℹ Use the conflicted package to force all conflicts to become errors
>

If anyone has insights as to what these mean let me know.

I had no idea tidyverse was a conda library as you indicated. Nothing I saw said there was a conda/R relationship.

I used my previously installed R and did not look into rig. I will look at rig to see if I should remove R and reinstall.

thanks, tom kosvic

The conflicts listed when loading tidyverse are perfectly normal. It just means, for instance, that the dpylr package has a filter() function and so does the stats package. When you load dplyr, the filter function in stats is "masked" so that you have to call it with a reference to the stats package included, stats::filter(). Calling simply filter() gives you the function from dplyr.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.