Tensorflow GPU only works when knitting

I am just beginning working neural networks, with keras and tensorflow. I wanted to use tensorflow gpu, so I got CUDA and cuDNN installed so i could run tensorflow on my gpu, and everything seemed to install properly, but when i run the model, and monitor my task manager, in Windows 10, I see that it's using the CPU and not the GPU. I tried everything i could to get it to work, but the "dedicated GPU memory usage" graph wouldnt move. I proceeded anyway with the model i was building, and an R markdown file, and at the end, knitted to PDF. It was only during the knit to pdf that I saw that the GPU was suddenly engaged, and the time for each epoch of my model was running at 1/6 the time it had been previously. So the tensorflow gpu is working, but only when I knit. Any ideas on why this is happening?

This is with:
R 4.0.5
CUDA 11.2.0
cuDNN 8.1.1.33
tensorflow 2.4

It's been extremely difficult finding anything online for R, everything is for strictly Python.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.