Teaching R to students with iPads

Hi there,
I'm currently setting up a weekly workshop for high school students. I want to teach R from the very beginning and later tackle some interesting questions with them. The setup is as follows: I will be in the front with my laptop and code, and they should be able to follow along. From my experience, they often don't have notebooks, but rather mobile devices such as iPads and tablets. Do you know of any browser-based editor that they could use? I have come across Posit Cloud, but I have too little experience with cloud computing myself to know how fast the computation hours are used, and if the project limitations are high enough for the workshop. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

First, I applaud you for trying to find an "accessible" way to teach R to HS students! As one who has worked with college students who were exposed in high school to R, I can say this is incredibly empowering.

One way to deliver the best R IDE is to somehow use RStudio Server; for you, this probably needs to be some Posit cloud-based solution.

The problem I see is that code editing on iPads, and editing in general on iPads, is horrible. The times I've resorted to it, mostly as feats-of-strength experiments, have been frustrating. All data analysts, including HS kids, really need real keyboards and displays. Even our college students with small-ish laptops have trouble.

I don't know how to solve this...

Thanks for your kind words! Indeed, it will be a challenge considering the code editing. Especially if the students all use different mobile devices, it will get complicated. I might confine myself to running the code in the front only, but I fear that would make it unattractive for students to join, as it is a voluntary workshop after all - do you have any other ideas how one could set it up in a more encouraging way?

I cant figure out this error
libary(tidyverse)
#> Error in libary(tidyverse): could not find function "libary"

mtcars  |> ggplot(aes(x=cyl, y=mpga)) + geom_col()
#> Error in ggplot(mtcars, aes(x = cyl, y = mpga)): could not find function "ggplot"

Welcome to the Rstats community!

That said, this is not the ideal topic under which to post your question...

I was using the ggplot2 package to create customized plots, but I ran into a problem with one specific graph. Despite meticulously following the code examples and documentation, the graph was not rendering as expected, and the labels and colors appeared distorted. I posted a question on the community forum, seeking help and advice from fellow R enthusiasts. I included my code and a sample dataset to illustrate the issue.
carsforyourhelp

You really should start a new topic. Few people are likely to respond to a {ggplot) question in a topic about students and iPads.

Here are some suggestions in how to ask your question FAQ Asking Questions

Welcome to the Forum.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.