SOS - New to RStudio - recent re-install error message - 'Error Starting R'

Hello,
I can't get RStudio to start after many attempts re-installing it. R starts and works fine in the terminal. I'm on R version 4.3.2 Eye Holes. My computer OS is Linux using Zorin OS 16.3, which is built on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I have installed this version of RStudio - 2023.06.1+524 "Mountain Hydrangea " (547dcf86, 2023-07-07) for Ubuntu Jammy
When I try to start RStudio I receive a giant red error message:
/usr/lib/rstudio/resources/app/bin/rsession: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I would really appreciate any advice or help I can get.
Thanks - Mark

This is just a guess but try Resetting RStudio Desktop's State

Hi JRK,
Thanks for the super-speedy response. I will give that a try and report back.
Thanks - Mark

Do you have libssl3 installed? Check the existence of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.3 and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.3. You didn't specify your system architecture, but I suspect the x86_64 version is the one that matters.

Thank you for your suggestion Professor Rubin. I really appreciate it! I ended up doing a complete uninstall and re-install of both R and RStudio and they are both working fine now. This wasn't my first attempt at doing that but it worked this time. Thanks again!
Mark

1 Like

Out of curiosity, did you try Paul's suggestion or mine?

1 Like

I tried both suggestions of yours before I started with the un-install of R. By the time I saw Paul's suggestion, this morning, I had already fixed it.

Thanks for the answer.Could you go to your first post and mark it solved?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.