Same Rstudio project identified by two names: project_name --- ~ and project_name---user

When I create a RStudio project, depending from where I access the project later, RStudio refers to it with two different names. As an example, the project name is 20230725_tree_table. Then:

• When I access the project clicking on the windows explorer 20230725_tree_table.Rproj, Rstudio identifies the project (in the project list) as 20230725_tree_table---~.
  • When I access the project from the menu option "open project", Rstudio identifies the project as 20230725_tree_table---fun.name (my windows username)

Once those two names are in teh Recent projects list in RStudio, I can open each of those as they were different projects although the content is also the same (as it should be).

Please, do you understand why RStudio is creating two different references to my project? how can avoid it?

Thanks a lot

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.3.1 (2023-06-16 ucrt)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 19045)

> RStudio.Version()
$mode
[1] "desktop"
$version
[1] '2023.6.1.524'
$long_version
[1] "2023.06.1+524"
$release_name
[1] "Mountain Hydrangea"

The problem seems related to the two ways to identify the user folder in windows: ~ and c:/Users/fun.name, where fun.name is my windows user name. As Rstudio connects the name of the project with the name of the folder that contains the *.Rproj file, confussion appears.

Nevertheless, I fixed the issue by clearing the projects list in RStudio. Now, no matter from where I access the project, only one name is listed.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.