RStudio start-up trouble after newest Mac OS update (Sonoma)

Error Information:

Description of issue -
I recently updated my Macbook (M2, 2022) to Sonoma and can't get RStudio to start now.

Attempted steps taken to fix -
I have tried to reinstall Quartz, R, and RStudio without success. R will open on its own, but not RStudio.

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: (Desktop)
  • RStudio Version: RStudio 2023.09.0+463 "Desert Sunflower " (b51c81cc, 2023-09-25) for macOS
  • OS Version: Sonoma 14.0
  • R Version: R version 4.3.1 (2023-06-16) -- "Beagle Scouts"
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible):

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2023.09.0+463 "Desert Sunflower " (b51c81cc, 2023-09-25) for macOS

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2023.09.0+463 Chrome/114.0.5735.289 Electron/25.5.0 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

[No errors emitted]

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

/Users/taliasternbach/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-taliasternbach.log

2023-10-13T17:59:37.106334Z [rsession-taliasternbach] WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<HttpConnection>, const boost::function<void ()>) src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:135
2023-10-13T18:03:59.725359Z [rsession-taliasternbach] WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<HttpConnection>, const boost::function<void ()>) src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:135
2023-10-13T18:03:59.725359Z [rsession-taliasternbach] WARNING Abort requested; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::session::connection::checkForAbort(boost::shared_ptr<HttpConnection>, const boost::function<void ()>) src/cpp/session/http/SessionHttpConnectionUtils.cpp:135

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

Does the native R app work or will R run from the terminal? If not, you may have installed the wrong version of R (Intel) in place of the version (arm) needed for Silicon.

I was facing the same issue with Macbook air (M2, 2023) , Sonoma

what I have learnt is that there are few bugs in the latest RStudio, better you uninstall the latest R studio
instead download the older version of R , I am using pro-2023.03.0-386.pro and its working fine on my machine.

1 Like

Thanks for you replies!
It seems that the Sonoma update on Mac OS turned on something called “private relay” in iCloud, and was hiding my IP address from Rstudio. Turning off "private relay" seems to have solved the problem.

2 Likes

I am running (or was) on a two-year old Mac Mini with the M1 chip. RStudio ran fine (for most part) until I upgraded the OS to Sonoma. I have had similar issues with opening RStudio (R itself will run) as you describe. All I get is the icon for RStudio. I do have iCloud but the relay is off so that is not the issue. I have also played with the privacy & security settings (location services, Files and Folder, full disk access) but nothing seems to work. What is strange though is that I have installed Sonoma on an older Mac desktop (imac) that has been patched with Opencore. RStudio runs on it! I am at a loss for what to do about the M1-Macmini.
I was wondering if others here had issues with Sonoma and RStudio.
Thanks, H

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.