RStudio Not Opening After Clean Reinstall

Hello RStudio Community,

I am experiencing an issue with RStudio where it fails to open. After clicking on the RStudio icon, the loading cursor appears briefly, but then nothing happens, and the program does not start.

Windows 11
Rstudio v. 2024.4.1.0
R-4.4.0

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Uninstalled R and RStudio: I completely uninstalled both R and RStudio using the Control Panel.
  2. Deleted residual folders: I deleted all related folders in C:\Users\[MyUser]\AppData\Local\rstudio, C:\Users\[MyUser]\AppData\Roaming\rstudio, and C:\Program Files\R and C:\Program Files\RStudio.
  3. Deleted temporary and configuration files: I removed any related files in C:\Users\[MyUser]\Documents including .Rhistory, .RData, and .Rprofile.
  4. Cleaned the Windows registry: I remove any remaining registry entries related to R and RStudio.
  5. Reinstalled R and RStudio: I downloaded and installed the latest versions of R from CRAN and RStudio from the RStudio website.
    Additionally, I checked the Windows Event Viewer for any related errors under "Application" and "System", but there were no specific error messages pointing to the problem with RStudio.

I only have the default Windows Firewall enabled, with no additional third-party firewall or antivirus software running. I also tried holding the Ctrl key while starting RStudio to reset the state, but this did not resolve the issue.

Despite these efforts, RStudio still does not open. I am looking for any suggestions or insights that could help resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your help!

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

Check the article on how to reset RStudio's state and, if the directories listed there are not among the ones you deleted, try following the instructions there. If that does not work, try starting RStudio from a command prompt and see if there are any error messages.

Thank you very much for the response. I followed everything in the article, but it didn’t work. I also ran RStudio from the command window, and it shows this error: [23360:0605/182246.167:ERROR:crashpad_client_win.cc(867)] not connected.

I would appreciate it if you could help me out

Someone reported that error with Win 10 and an earlier version of RStudio. In their case, according to their last post, it was a font problem. No guarantee that's what is going on in your case, but maybe?

Thanks. It worked! I appreciate it

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.