RStudio - Knit button not working but rmarkdown::render does

Hi there,

When I try to press the 'Knit' button on RStudio - nothing happens. Literally nothing occurs. A "R Markdown" dialog box opens, and it's blank inside:

Solutions (unsuccessful):

1. Uninstalled R/RStudio, Re-installed it multiple times.
  2. Set the JAVA_HOME; checked the R_HOME, R_PATH; added the JAVA path to the System environment variables
    a. rJava works just fine
  3. In the meantime, set up a command to knit specific documents with script (a simple “rmarkdown::render”) command, which I know is happening in the back-end of hitting the ‘Knit button’
  4. Have done opts_chunk$set as below:
    ```{r, echo=FALSE}
    knitr::opts_chunk$set(error = TRUE)
    ```

Any advice?

Hi! Welcome! I think this is going to be difficult to sort out without some more information. For starters:

• Does this happen when you try to knit the default new R Markdown document, or only your own document?
  • Can you provide some more system info? Here's a template:

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: (Desktop or Server)
  • RStudio Version:
  • OS Version:
  • R Version:

Also:

Depending on your issue, the following may be useful
If a section isn't relevant or you can't collect it just delete that section below

1 Like
  • Does this happen when you try to knit the default new R Markdown document, or only your own document? Yes, it happens when I knit the default R Markdown document, and also my own documents.
  • Can you provide some more system info?
RStudio Edition: Desktop
RStudio Version: 1.1.456
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
R Version: 3.4.1
 sessionInfo()

R version 3.4.1 (2017-06-30)

Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

Running under: Windows >=8 x64 (build 9200)

Are you able to knit a default .Rmd document?

Though I've not seen this specific issue (a blank dialogue after hitting the knit button -- odd), I've certainly had R Markdown issues without good error messages. I usually diagnose such persnickety issues by moving my R Markdown document contents from the document that doesn't work to the one that does - isolating the code-chunk causing the problem.

Nope, I cannot knit a default .Rmd document! It just straight out-of-the-box has never been able to knit a document hitting 'Knit', though I've done the render::rmarkdown a bunch of times.

1 Like