RStudio extremely slow on Big Sur

I bought a Mac Air macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3
I was using windows before and my r code was running just fine, less than a minute.
The same code now takes 8 minutes to run. I tried on another air, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, and on that laptop it also took less than a minute.
Do u have any idea why it takes forever on mine? I have RStudio 1.4.1106
Any help is so much appreciated!

Could be a few things or a combination

1. Problem with RStudio configuration
  2. Problem with R version
  3. Problem with macOS configuration
  4. Problem with MacAir hardware

To check 1. run the same code in the R app from the Terminal app. This doesn't involve RStudio at all. If the code is also slow in the R app, it suggests that RStudio isn't the problem, and you should check the R version from the terminal R --version It should be version 4.0 or above. That also covers item no. 2.

If the R app session is not also slow, check the RStudio configuration from the menu `Tools | Global | Options | General Advanced against the image below

If necessary and you are able, write and compile a similar program in another language and see if it also runs too slowly. If that is the case, it could be either an OS problem or a hardware problem and seeking help in a macOS - specific forum might be necessary.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

I have checked 1, and it has turned out that the code is also very slow on the R app. Apparently, it is not a matter of RStudio.

As suggested, I have checked the R version, and it is R 4.0.5.

What would be the next step that you could recommend?
Thank you very much again!

To narrow a bit, is your Air an M1?

Yes it is with M1 Chip.

Do you compile packages from source?

I install packages from CRAN repository.
The classical way, I guess, just install.packages("name").

R is probably running under the Rosetta2 translator layer to allow compatibility with the M1 processor in the new Mac. Going forward versions of R and RStudio that run directly are expected.

1 Like

Oh yes, from my research in forums and discussions, that is also my conclusion.
Glad that nothing is wrong with my laptop.
Thank you!

Apart from having the M1 processor. :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.