RStudio Cloud - Loading Projects based on different version of Ubuntu

Originally posted under You can now upgrade any project to Ubuntu 20.04! - #2

Hi - something I've noticed which seems related. I have projects based on Ubuntu 16.04. If people make a copy of those projects, they still have an Ubuntu 16.04 copy, but some of the packages no longer work - I assume that during deployment it is getting cached packages that have been built with 20.04. I can fix this by updating the original project to 20.04, or reinstalling the package, but still, it was unanticipated and a bit confusing...

Copies of projects should be on the same version of Ubuntu as the source project. We don't update any packages in that case. Its possible there is another issue going on. If you can provide is with the project id of the one with the error, we can take a look. (And which packages are having this issue.)

thanks
sam

Sorry, yes, was just adding some more helpful detail. Here's an example:

The original project is project id 231231

The copy I just made on a different account is 2419592

Both are on Ubuntu 16.04.

The specific problematic package is stringi - on the copy, I get this error message:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘stringi’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
unable to load shared object '/home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.0/stringi/libs/stringi.so':
libicui18n.so.55: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But it works fine on the original. The file is there on the copy, too - I can find it through the Terminal. Maybe permissions not copying, or something... either installing the package again on the copy or upgrading it to Ubuntu 20.04 (which I guess reinstalls the package - ah, a lightbulb just went on) makes it work.

this isn't project specific, as I've had the same problem on multiple projects. Making copies worked fine last week.

I'm not sure what happened with that project. The intent is for the OS version to be preserved for all copies.

If this continues to be a problem, can you file a support case or start a new community topic about this?

thank you
sam

Hello

Just an update. This is in fact a bug in our system, the OS isn't getting inherited like it should. Sorry about this, we will get a fix out as soon as we can.

thanks
sam

We have deployed a change that means this should not be a problem now. For child projects that were affected, you will either need to manually reinstall the packages, change the OS, or create a new child project.

Sorry for the issues and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

thanks
sam

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.