rscloud package: new terminology in space_member_remove unclear

The change in syntax and terminology, and unclear documentation is causing problems for me. Previously,

space_member_remove(123456, userlist, remove_projects = TRUE, ask = FALSE)

would move projects from the class space to the students' personal spaces-- this is important for me to get right, since students are building a portfolio throughout their college career. I have tried to read the comments on Github #54 but it is not clear what the developers are saying. It is very unclear which of the new options relating to "content_action" would do the same. "Leaving the content where it is" makes no sense, if I am removing people from a space-- but if I were forced to guess, this might be the new option I want. Exactly what does "Archive" do? Remove access from the students, but preserve access for the space owner? I assume "trash" would delete the students' spaces and projects?

Additionally, can we choose more than one option? I discussed this with the team before-- in universities we are supposed to keep records for 2 years. So, can we both move student projects to their personal space AND keep a copy in an archive? Something like

space_member_remove(123456, userlist, content_action = c("archive", "leave"), ask = FALSE) ???

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

I just left a reply to the GitHub issue you made with this same question. See Changes to space_member_remove · Issue #57 · rstudio/rscloud · GitHub.

-Kyle

Hi there,

This past fall, we changed how content is managed when a user is removed from a space. Specifically, instead of a user's content being distributed to their personal workspace when they are removed from the space, an administrator has the choice of archiving the content (making it inaccessible to users unless an admin un-archives it), leaving the content in place or moving it to the trash where it will be deleted in 30 days. Additionally, if permission has been granted by administrators, project authors can choose to move the content out of the space to their own personal workspaces if they choose. However, administrators can no longer force content into a user's personal workspace.

You can read more about this in our what's new:

And also in the guide:

For your particular use case, I think archiving the content makes sense to ensure your institution retains it for compliance.

Hope that helps.

-Andy

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.