Rmarkdown and Quarto error when compiling Chinese titles

Issue Description: I've been using Rmarkdown and Quarto to compile Chinese documents without any problems. However, I'm currently facing compilation issues, even with a freshly created simple document.

Here's the content of the .rmd file. The only change I made from the default Rmarkdown template is modifying the title to Chinese:

---
title: "这是一段中文的文本来进行编译"
output: html_document
date: "2023-10-11"
---

## R Markdown

This is an R Markdown document. Markdown is a simple formatting syntax for authoring HTML, PDF, and MS Word documents. For more details on using R Markdown see [http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com](http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com).

Output:
Here's how the output looks:

Warnings:
Upon rendering, I received the following warnings:

[WARNING] This document format requires a nonempty <title> element. Defaulting to 'Untitled.knit' as the title. To specify a title, use 'title' in metadata or --metadata title="...".

Output created: Untitled.html Warning messages: 1: In readLines(con, warn = FALSE) : invalid input found on input connection 'Untitled.Rmd' 2: In readLines(con, warn = FALSE) : invalid input found on input connection 'Untitled.knit.md' 3: In readLines(con, warn = FALSE) : invalid input found on input connection 'Untitled.knit.md'

Environment:

• R version: 4.3.1 (2023-06-16) -- "Beagle Scouts"
  • RStudio Version: 2023.09.0+463 (2023.09.0+463)
  • Pandoc version: 3.1.8 (I also tried the bundled 3.1.1 with RStudio)

When running rmarkdown::yaml_front_matter, I got:

function (input, encoding = "UTF-8") 
{
    parse_yaml_front_matter(read_utf8(input))
}
<bytecode: 0x1143a7d00>
<environment: namespace:rmarkdown>

Attempts to Resolve:

1. Reinstalled and tried new pandoc versions.
  2. Reinstalled knitr.
  3. Reinstalled R.
  4. Reinstalled R Studio.
  5. Erased all files and reinstalled MacOS.

I'm quite desperate given my attempts. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Sovled by update Mac OS to a Latest beta Version

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.