renv restore not working because of rlang version mismatch

Hello community,
My understanding of the use of renv is to manage package conflicts but I had this issue where renv wasn't able to restore packages from a renv.lock file cause of a mismatch of rlang versions - the one on renv.lock was a higher version than the one installed in the global library. I had to upgrade the rlang in the global library and then renv restore worked, is there something I'm missing in my understanding of what renv does?

Can you share the command you executed, and the output you saw? Are you working within an renv project, or trying to update packages in your user library?

Yes, I am working within a renv project. Actually its shiny dashboards running on shinyserver and each dashboard has its own renv.lock file. Below is the error I got from a dashboard that could not load until I updated the global rlang version.

Error: package or namespace load failed for 'plotly' in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]: namespace 'rlang' 1.1.0 is already loaded, but >= 1.1.1 is required