Relationship between Connect Cloud and similar services (Shinyapps.io, Quarto Pub, etc...)

Posit Connect Cloud looks promising! One thing I'm wondering is the relationship between other services provided by Posit. For example,

• Quarto Pub can serve Quarto documents
  • Shinyapps.io can serve Shiny apps
  • RPubs can serve R Markdown documents

It's not necessarily a problem that two services overlap each other to some extent, but I'd really appreciate if there will be some guidance about when to use which.

1 Like

Hello - thanks for experimenting with Connect Cloud.

The goal for Connect Cloud is to create a platform that supports the many frameworks that data professionals can create today with a frictionless deployment process.

shinyapps.io provides a good experience for people who want to share Shiny applications. Although shinyapps.io isn't going away any time soon, we will be adding functionality to Connect Cloud to support more advanced sharing and collaboration workflows that people use on shinyapps.io and self-managed Connect. Eventually Connect Cloud could become the more compelling option for people and teams working with multiple frameworks and who wish to remain in a cloud environment. But this will take time.

I'd love to hear more about how you use the various tools and what functionality could help tie them all together. Thanks again!

Alex

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying about Shinyapps.io! I see.

I'd love to hear more about how you use the various tools and what functionality could help tie them all together. Thanks again!

Quarto Pub is what I use most often among the tools I referred to above. I share slides via Quarto Pub. It's easy to publish there via Quarto CLI. So, honestly, what I feel curious about the most is what the experience with Posit Connect Cloud will be compared to Quarto Pub. At least, if Posit Connect Cloud requires a GitHub repository to publish, Quarto Pub should stay for more light-weight usages because it allows us to publish without a GitHub repository.