Reasons to put a proxy in front of a Shiny Server

Hi!

There are a lot of posts here and there about HOW to proxy a Shiny Server, with Apache, with NGINX, with ShinyProxy...
But besides from SSL and authentication, does it improve something more, apart from that?

I mean, as far as I know, with NGINX you can get a lot of throughput but wouldn't be Shiny Server, in fact, a bottleneck? I would like to fully understand it.

This is a generic question, but now I explain my specific situation: I am running on Docker (So, in fact, I think I am not using Shiny Server. because I am using this base image https://github.com/openanalytics/r-base and then installing shiny on it, and internally I am just running it with a shiny::runApp(), am I wrong?) and I am deciding if mounting another docker container with NGINX (or maybe set it up in the same Dockerfile, what do you think?) to act as a proxy would be beneficial. Right now SSL nor authentication is needed because it will be hosted locally.

Surely you will have more experience with it than me.

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.