R suddenly stopped working (looping error)

Hello!
I have a technical issue with R Commander for macOS (chip M3 Apple).

The week before I installed the R Commander and XQuartz to work in R.

The application worked perfectly, however, after several days the R Commander has a looping error after the library(Rcmdr) command. Please see the screenshot below.

Because of this issue I am not able to proceed with my work and am literally stuck.

What I have done by this moment:

• updated my software till the latest version
  • reinstalled both R commander and XQuartz
  • tried to run the library(Rcmdr) command

What I don't understand is that I have previously worked in R and there were no errors whatsoever. Now, even when reinstalled, I have this looping error that I don't know how to resolve.

Please kindly help!

Screenshots:
1 - the looping error after the library command

If you need any additional information to help, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Dana

I'm a bit confused about why you want to start a GUI (R Commander) inside the console of another GUI (RStudio). In any case, maybe try running it from an R session in a terminal outside of RStudio?

Some people suggested to use RStudio instead of R Commander because it shows what the error is exactly. So now I see that this is the looping error but I don't know how to fix it.

For me, there is no difference between the applications, I just want to make it work.

If you have any advice on this topic, it would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Have you tried all the things listed in the R Commander Installation Notes? Some things depend on which version of macOS you are running (which you did not mention).

The error messages seem to be related to the tcltk library, which used to be a separate R package but is not integrated into base R. Try executing library("tcltk") in the RStudio console. Does that generate any error messages?

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the answer.

I have run the command but it seems it doesn't help. Please kindly see the screenshot below. I have also been told that the fact that I have a message saying "history restored" is incorrect but I cannot get rid of it even after the reinstallation of R.

I also suspect that the main issue is with XQuartz because for some reason I cannot open it. When clicking on the app, it is "jumping" in the dock and ends up not opening whatsoever.

Could you please suggest what else I can do to try fixing the issue?

Many thanks!

Sorry, I have no experience with Apple stuff. If XQuartz does not work properly, I suggest asking for help with that on an Apple forum. Once XQuartz is working, if you still can't load the tcltk library, I would suggest starting a new question here with additional details.

I think I have fixed the issue.

The problem was with XQuartz, I reinstalled it, rebooted laptop, and then in the Settings-General-Login & Extensions added XQuartz as a background app. Then rebooted the laptop again.

I am writing this just in case someone else will have the same issue.

@prubin Paul, thank for your time and help! Have a nice day!

1 Like

Dana: Great to hear, and you're welcome for the time. (I'm not sure I was much help.)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.