R session failed to start 2023

I installed R and RStudio for my lesson. When I opened the RStudio, I got this error:
RStudio 2023.09.1+494 "Desert Sunflower " (cd7011dc, 2023-10-16) for macOS [No error available] 2023-11-06T01:10:48.123001Z [rsession-ozge] ERROR system error 13 (Permission denied) [path: /Users/ozge/.local/share/rstudio/sources/session-a965b9d3, target-dir: ]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::createDirectory(const std::string &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:846

OUTPUT

[No output emitted]
MISSING VALUE
MISSING VALUE

R is working now but I can't open RStudio. I tried different solutions. I deleted and reinstalled both of them. I upgraded the macOS version. I tried to create directory and give permission. But I got same error. What should I do? I couldn't understand this problem. Thank you.

I also have this issue, can't get RStudio to start on my personal Macbook Pro 2018 with Sonoma. Here's the problem report:

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2023.09.1+494 "Desert Sunflower " (cd7011dc, 2023-10-16) for macOS

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2023.09.1+494 Chrome/116.0.5845.190 Electron/26.2.4 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 2.

Error output:

2023-11-14T16:16:39.946518Z [rsession-beowulf] ERROR system error 13 (Permission denied) [path: /Users/beowulf/.local/share/rstudio/sources/session-cef7fb32, target-dir: ]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::createDirectory(const std::string &) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:846

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

Log File

[No logs available]

...I've tried reinstalling RStudio, R, and XQuartz; I upgraded from ventura to sonoma, and the problem persisted; I've tried running the DMG from different directories, to no effect. R works just fine in the console. Private relay is turned off. Any help would be appreciated. My guess is that it's some kind of file path issue, or maybe a MacOS permissions issue, but I don't know enough to diagnose it myself.

Hi,

I fixed this error. It is a permission error. This is why reinstalling programs doesn't work. I gave permission Rstudio and local, so the problem was solved on my computer. You can try these commands on your terminal. The chmod -R 755 command gives "read", "write" and "execute" permissions to the specified directory and all files and directories below it. I hope your problem is solved too.

• sudo chmod -R 755 /Users/ozge/.local/share/rstudio
  • sudo chmod -R 755 /Users/ozge/.local

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.