R Markdown error message with HTML

I am brand new to R and trying to go through googles data analysis course on coursera. part of the R section has me using R markdown and creating an HTML report but i get this error message every time

sh: /private/var/folders/w6/jhcbcmdn7dxbz90schvs1qt80000gn/T/AppTranslocation/CA7449BC-841B-4782-BB5A-67BD5FBFC3F1/d/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/quarto/bin/tools/pandoc: Bad CPU type in executable
Error in strsplit(info, "\n")[[1]] : subscript out of bounds
Calls: ... pandoc_available -> find_pandoc -> lapply -> FUN -> get_pandoc_version
In addition: Warning message:
In system(paste(shQuote(path), "--version"), intern = TRUE) :
running command ''/private/var/folders/w6/jhcbcmdn7dxbz90schvs1qt80000gn/T/AppTranslocation/CA7449BC-841B-4782-BB5A-67BD5FBFC3F1/d/RStudio.app/Contents/Resources/app/quarto/bin/tools/pandoc' --version' had status 126
Execution halted

Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it? Im using a Mac if that makes any difference

The official fix is to install the system tool Rosetta, which allows Silicon chips to run Intel binaries.

softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license

Alternatively, installing the native binary from pandoc.org works, but requires some adjustment of several dotfiles, which can be tricky for users not experienced in intermediate level system maintenance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.