R Developer Contributions |> Table Contest

R Developer Contributions

Authors: Michael McCarthy
mastodon, GitHub, blog

Full Description:
This interactive {gt} table explores R developers’ contributions to CRAN packages, based on their authorships and roles. For each developer, the table displays the number of packages a person has contributed to, role counts, and nominal and percentile rankings compared to all other developers.

Interactivity is a key feature of this table due to the amount of data it displays, and because it allows readers (i.e., other R developers) to easily find themselves in the data, or ask silly questions like how many other authors share a name with them. In other words, interactivity is useful and fun.

Full details about the motivation behind this table, the data wrangling required to make it possible, and the code used to make it are detailed in this blog post.

Note that the submission link for the table also links to this blog post, but jumps to the relevant section where the table is shown.

Table Type: interactive-HTML
Submission Type: Other
Table: Tidy Tales - The Pareto Principle in R package development
Code: tidytales/posts/2023-05-03_r-developers at main · mccarthy-m-g/tidytales · GitHub
Language:
Industries: Software engineering.
Packages: gt

2 Likes

Fun discussion!

Some more data points you might include

• You can also use LinkedIn tools to count the number of people who list R skills on their profile. The union of that is about 3.3 million people on LinkedIn.

• Hadley shared rstats publicly that;

• RStudio was opened 3.5 million times (i.e. we logged that many checks for an update) [in prev week],
    • in the last month, ~650k people visited a tidyverse website
    • in the last year, more than 2 billion packages were downloaded.

Thanks for reading, and for the extra data points!

I also did a followup post investigating package contributor statistics using GitHub data: Tidy Tales - We are, we are, on the cruise! We R!

It also includes an interactive table, but the focus there was a bit more on graph theory metrics to look at network effects between contributors and packages.

1 Like