Quarto blog rendering behaviour

I have started a blog using Quarto and it all seems to work. What I don't seem to have an intuitive understanding of though, is how rendering works in RStudio (I understand about freeze = true).
What do I need to re-render if I'm adding a post or making a change to an existing post?
Obviously the index.qmd file for that post, but do I also need to re-render the main index.qmd?
If I make a change in the _quarto.yml or _metadat.yml files, do I need to go back and re-render every posts index.qmd for the .yml file changes to propagate across all posts? (I get the feeling I do). If so, is there a 'render entire website' type command in RStudio that can be used?

If you use freeze: true, you can definitely do a quarto render on the entire website / blog and it will update everything, without re-running computation.

I believe clicking render from the index.qmd should render eveything, but you should also be able to render the entire website from the Build pane in the IDE

With freeze: true, you will need to explicitly render any file you modified - otherwise the frozen state won't be updated, and will always be used. So usually

• You add a post, and you render this post using Render - this will add to freeze state
  • You make a change, and you render this post using Render - this will update freeze state

After that your website should be updated. You can quarto render everything quickly thanks to freeze

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.