Python documentation, Core syntax and @output decorator

Hello,

I am learning Shiny for Python after several years of working with R and, of course, Shiny for customer dashboard development. Between the two syntaxes, I find the Core version easier to assimilate as it closely resembles the R syntax. I notice that the documentation highlights the Python Express version more, likely to facilitate Shiny adoption for Python developers new to Shiny.

While the Python documentation is not as extensive as the R documentation, it still covers the subject well. Nevertheless, one point of confusion remains: the use of the @output decorator, which only appears in the comparison section (Shiny for Python - Shiny for R). I can't find it detailed anywhere else.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Posit for their tremendous work on R and their mission to bring the two languages together into a unified community.

So, my question is: Is this decorator deprecated?

1 Like

Welcome back to the forum @dsolito!

First, thank you for that wonderful compliment. Posit tries its best to delight users, and it never gets old to find out we have :heart:

I'm 99% certain you are correct that the @output decorator has been deprecated, but I have a message in with the developers who will answer here shortly.

Best,
Randy

Edit: It looks like this was also answered on Discord; no, it's not deprecated as such, but only in rare cases would it be necessary for use. A GitHub issue has been opened:

Thank you @randyzwitch :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.