Problem writing raster predictions using raster package on Rstudio server (Supercomputer clusters)

Hi,
I am trying to generate raster predictions based on my raster stack predictors and my fitted SVM model.
I am getting the error message below:

Error: [writeStart] insufficient disk space. Estimated need: 40GB. Available: 0 GB.

I do have 2TB as primary storage. I tried to play with the rasterOptions() parameters but I still get the same error. I have also tried to change the tmpdir file location.

Thank you for your help.

I'm thinking this might be less an R issue than an Operating System issue; and that File/drive Permissions will be involved.

I think I have permission to write to my primary storage space

ok, lets start filling in some concrete information.
what rasterOptions did you play with ?
what tmpdir file location did you have, and then which did you try ?
(also have you run these raster predictions before on any other system and so have an understanding if 40Gb is expected/reasonable? can you run a simpler setup that would require less space?)

as for

I think I have permission to write to my primary storage space

In my experience in computing in general; often its when our basic assumptions are violated that we don't get what we expect; I've seen many occasions where a user was sure the computer was wrong, given what the user confidently knows about their data or code; which turned out to be incorrect. Is this your own personal private supercomputer? I may have assumed incorrectly that there is some sort of user access control that would be relevant but I understand how I could be wrong about that.

This supercomputer is run by my university.

You find below the parameters I was trying to modify:
chunksize" was maximized so the raster predictions can be generated in one chunk
maxmemory: to include more space for Rstudio to run my raster::predict() function
tmpdir: I have specified my own primary storage for Rstudio to store temporary files.

For your information, I already run this process on my own laptop. The size of the raster predictions was about 215Mb but the process was really slow. that's why I would like to use a high-performance supercomputer to speed up the process. I think Rstudio overestimated the required space to 40G. But, it is strange to mention in the error message "Available: 0G".

I think the error has to do with permissions to write in the primary storage space.

Sincerely yours

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.