Problem with RStudio update

Hi everyone,

I'm running RStudio on a Ubuntu 18.04.6, my R version is 4.3.0 (2023-04-21) -- "Already Tomorrow".
After updating RStudio to the latest version with the installer rstudio-2023.03.1-446-amd64.deb, I am no longer able to run RStudio. Opening it from the GUI doesn't work. When trying to open it from the terminal, I get a pop-up error window (please see the attached capture), plus the following message in the terminal:

[17871:0517/072347.762744:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(523)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is desktop, ANGLE is
(node:17837) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: TypeError: Object has been destroyed
at BrowserWindow. (/usr/lib/rstudio/resources/app/.webpack/main/index.js:17:58240)
at Object.onceWrapper (node:events:627:28)
at BrowserWindow.emit (node:events:525:35)
at node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:84097
at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:78:11)
(Use rstudio --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)
(node:17837) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line API | Node.js v21.7.1 Documentation). (rejection id: 1)

On the other hand, when trying to open it as admin (sudo rstudio), I get the following:

[0517/073235.866857:FATAL:electron_main_delegate.cc(299)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.
Trace/breakpoint trap

I already tried to uninstall and reinstall. I also tried to install earlier versions of RStudio, but the problem persists.
I need to use RStudio on my daily routine...any advice on how to solve this is highly appreciated .

Thanks.

As the screencap mentions "the R session failed to start", can you try opening R (not Rstudio) directly from the terminal?

Yes, R works fine, here below is what I get by calling it from the terminal:

R version 4.3.0 (2023-04-21) -- "Already Tomorrow"
Copyright (C) 2023 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.

Natural language support but running in an English locale

R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
Type 'contributors()' for more information and
'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.

Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

Any help is appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.