Posit Connect Content Description: 4096 Character Limit Error

Hi Posit Community,

I got an error message that makes no sense (could probably say that about a lot of them :slight_smile: )

I just published a quarto document to Connect from the command line. It looks fine when I browse to my Connect server, but when I try to edit and save the description in the Connect settings (web interface) I get the error

Failed to update description: Error: Application description must be 4096 characters or less.

I've attached a screenshot of the settings window at the bottom of this topic.

According to the bash wc tool, my description is only 371 characters including spaces and line feeds.

Here's the description:

Job #:  4363		Name: [LEEO] - Daily CTH Weights

Opened:              	Closed:              
2026-09-03 08:54:15  	2026-09-23 10:35:08  	Requestor: gould

Desc:
******* **** **** ****** ** *** ***** *** ********* ****
********  ** **** ** *** **** * *** *** **** ** ****** ***
*** **** **** ** ******* ******* 
============================================================

I've published from a Mac (version 26.5.2 (25F84)) using quarto 1.9.36. [edited] and the Connect version is 2026.06.1

Does anyone know of an explanation or workaround?

Hi @LG_Gould, most likely the issue is because your description includes invalid characters such as tabs or carriage returns. If you remove any of those characters from your description does it save successfully?

We can and should definitely improve the error messaging here, I'll open an issue internally for that.

Thank you, @karawoo2 . It was the tabs that caused the error.