Plots knitting differently in markdown than in script

Can someone help me out here, I have tried troubleshooting with an experienced user, but we both can't figure it out. I'm a newbie to R so I'm lost.

My plot isn't showing up correctly when I knit it, but it shows up correctly in the script. Exact same code, but values are somehow getting changed and the chart obviously isn't rendering correctly.

Does anyone know why this would happen or have any tips that I can try?

Thanks in advance!

The most typical reason I see for this is that the data object used interactively, steps_new, has undergone some additional processing or data cleaning that doesn't actually occur when the RMarkdown/Quarto document is executed linearly.

Can you go through these steps:

1. Clear your environment, or at least the steps_new object and any objects named Time or MeanSteps. Use rm(list = ls()) to clear everything quickly.
  2. Run all of the data processing steps from the beginning of the file manually.
  3. Render the whole document.
  4. Compare results. Hopefully they match now.

One of my first steps in troubleshooting is to clear everything with "Session > restart R" or shift+command+0. Never rely on anything that exists in the global environment. It looks like you're filtering the dataframe to span only a single day, and that filter is not in the markdown.

I'm going to try these solutions right now, I'll let ya know if they work out. Fingers crossed!

Good point on the global environment, and something to note about RMarkdown/Quarto documents is that they execute their code in an entirely new environment when knitting/rendering i.e. any objects available in your interactive environment are not accessible when knitting/rendering a .rmd/.qmd doc.