PDF manual when building R package

Hi,

When I carry out devtools::check() for my package, everything looks fine. I've noticed some people discuss building the PDF manual for the R package. Is it required for CRAN submission? I haven't found out I have such a pdf file sitting anywhere in my package. Hope you can shed some light in this regard. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes the PDF is required but devtools::release() (or devtools::submit_cran()) will create it for you :relieved: as these functions call pkgbuild::build() https://github.com/r-lib/devtools/blob/41280ac4b7d2c3f4aacec35e6c7d1de195de8418/R/release.R#L280 Most often you do not need to think about the PDF manual except when R CMD checks throw some error related to it.

For more context see Chapter 4 Package structure and state | R Packages especially the first item after the sentence "The main differences between a source package and an uncompressed bundle are:". Then for CRAN submissions You CRAN Do It | %>% dreams has great tips and a list of further resources.

Thank you so much for shedding some light. Actually, The manual argument is FALSE by default in devtools::check(), which caused me to think it is something we need to do on our side.

1 Like

Ah right, and when you use usethis::use_release_issue() to get a checklist of things to do before a CRAN submission, one of the items is devtools::check(remote = TRUE, manual = TRUE).

Thanks. But I was told CRAN will generate the manual. It is not something I need to do.

Yes, the devtools command is just to check CRAN won't have any issue generating it, because if there is an issue, your package might not get accepted.

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.