Packages not updating

I have recently updated both R and RStudio to the latest versions (R 4.3.1 and RStudio 2023.06.2+561) on my Intel MacBook Pro running Mac OS 11.7.8 (Big Sur). When I try to update the packages that need updating, I get the message that they have been downloaded:

The downloaded binary packages are in
	/var/folders/9g/_qdt18fj55x5pgzfz2wnjjyr0000gr/T//RtmpSXgek5/downloaded_packages

… but they have not actually updated, because when I check for updates again, it says all the same packages need updating. Could it be that something is going wrong with compiling the binaries?

I tried manually deleting and reinstalling those packages with exactly the same result. I suppose it is possible that I need to update my operating system, but I tend to avoid this due to so many other things breaking.

Thanks!

Deborah.

Possibly you have the same issue: Packages not update on Mac - #6 by Gabor

Oh hmm, that could be it indeed. Unfortunately I am having trouble compiling packages from source due to some sort of bug in gcc - a separate issue I will be posting about soon. Thanks!

R does not use gcc on macOS by default. It uses Apple's clang, from XCode or from the XCode command line tools (CLT).

The best practice is to remove your custom ~/.R/Makevars file if you have one, and install the XCode command line tools.

Yes, I did this, and I think that’s actually the source of the problem. I can confirm that R is using clang:

deborahapthorp$ gcc --version Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1 Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30) Target: x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0 Thread model: posix InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bint

… but I’m getting strings of warnings and errors when trying to compile from source. Any clues?

Thanks!

Deborah.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.