package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ Error message

Hi, I keep getting this message everytime I try to load the tidyverse package. I remember last week I believe I had tried to install some tidyverse udpates using the tidyverse update command... but I can't remember exactly. I'm still new to R, but I really need this package for basic data cleaning I do. I'm not sure what to do? I believe I'm only getting this message when loading the tidyverse package.

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in get(Info[i, 1], envir = env):
lazy-load database 'C:/Users/pchan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/rlang/R/rlang.rdb' is corrupt
In addition: Warning message:
In get(Info[i, 1], envir = env) : internal error -3 in R_decompress1

Try reinstalling rlang package


Hi @andresrcs,

So I installed rlang, and then tried to load tidyverse and got this message now:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in runHook(".onLoad", env, package.lib, package):
lazy-load database 'C:/Users/pchan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/lifecycle/R/lifecycle.rdb' is corrupt
In addition: Warning message:
In runHook(".onLoad", env, package.lib, package) :
internal error -3 in R_decompress1

Incase it's helpful, here's the message I got after installing rlang:

Installing package into ‘C:/Users/pchan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL ''
Content type 'application/zip' length 1131356 bytes (1.1 MB)
downloaded 1.1 MB

This is another corrupt package, do the same as before and install it again, if you have recently updated your R version try updating your packages with


Okay, thanks @andresrcs. Reinstalling lifecycle, followed by other packages that got a 'is corrupt' message seemed to work, and I was finally able to fully install and load tidyverse. I also would restart my R session each time I installed a new package, and that seemed to helped too. I initially ran the update.packages command, and after that completed, I thought all my packages would just update. But it turned out I still had to reinstall a number of packages, including lifecycle, because I still kept getting the 'corrupt' message.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.