Package loads require admin privileges

Windows. Most resent update of Rstudio with R installed. User was running as admin; now standard user. Rstudio won't load library without admin privileges. User has full permission to the library folder in user profile.
Gives "LoadLibrary failure: The network path was not found." Did a complete reinstall of R & Rstudio.

This very much looks like a file permission issue. Run .libPaths() to see where R is trying to load packages from. Then check that the user has access to them. If in doubt, delete the user library completely, and reinstall the packages.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. .libPaths() points to the "C:/Users/USERNAM/AppData/Local/R/win-library/4.4" "C:/Program Files/R/R-4.4.1/library"
but the error still shows as: During startup - Warning message:
package ‘stats’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
unable to load shared object 'C:/Program Files/R/R-4.4.1/library/stats/libs/x64/stats.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: The network path was not found.
Permissions on the folders are set for Full for the user.
Recommendations?

Try running R as admin. It is works as admin, but does not work as a regular user, then it is a permission issue.

How do I check that the user has access to packages?

See your Windows docs, e.g. https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000137238/understanding-file-and-folder-permissions-in-windows

You can also try reading a file (e.g. a DESCRIPTION file) from a package within the library.

In some occasions I have the same problem with other libraries. Im try to re install the packages that error said and restart Rstudio. Finally run well.

Also when the above does not work, I ask to install as admin those packages because my user does not allow me to copy files .dll in C: