Opening files and projects outside of home directory in Ubuntu

Hello,
I recently updated to the latest version of RStudio for Ubuntu 22.04. The navigation window for opening files or projects is noticeably different than previous versions. A problem I am having with it is that I can't seem to figure out how to navigate outside of the 'home' directory (/home/user/), which in previous versions wasn't an issue (had access up to "/", I believe). This is a problem for me, since a lot of my projects and Rscripts are saved on external drives or mounted servers, which naturally reside in "/media/user/". How can I fix this?

For what it's worth, I tried creating a shortcut to an external drive in my home folder, but Rstudio seems to get hung-up when I try to use that shortcut link through the 'open file' dialogue.

Thanks!
Stas

Try using the full-path name in an appropriate input function, instead of the GUI, such as

read.csv("/media/user/somedirectory/somefile.csv")

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. This is for opening R scripts, etc (and projects) through Rstudio IDE, not read/writing files etc through R. R within Rstudio can access files anywhere. In the image below, there is no way to go "above" Home.
Thanks!

Sorry to be unclear. I wanted to test whether those objects were available to the GUI R session at all. Try here:

c7cac31cd799895f11ad72aaea6eb6075aaace71

Hi,
Pressing that button doesn't take it any 'higher' than home. If I manually open a project that is outside of the home directory, then I can access files/projects outside of it as well through that dialogue, but if I am in a project that is within the home directory it can't go outside of it. It might have to do with how I installed Rstudio, but I didn't do anything unusual:
sudo dpkg -i ...

Are you using the server or desktop version? If the former, there is a configuration option for that.

https://docs.posit.co/ide/server-pro/rstudio_pro_sessions/directory_management.html

Yeah, I see that Ubuntu differs from Mac, which will display a broader set of choices. If you are on desktop and @andresrcs ' suggestion isn't available, a symbolic link to the target directory outside of home will work if the permissions allow.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.