newbie friendly guide or assistance to use shiny.telemetry

I am trying to add some logging that will enable me to understand how much my simple shiny apps are being used. However, as horribly often, I am finding the documentation, here that of the shiny.telemetry package at https://github.com/Appsilon/shiny.telemetry is giving a skeletal introduction which is probably fine for IT professionals but which is baffling and frustrating for me. I think I have set up an sqlite repository correctly in an online R session with:

library(shiny.telemetry)
shiny.telemetry::Telemetry$new(
  app_name = "(dashboard)",
  data_storage = shiny.telemetry::DataStorageSQLite$new(db_path = file.path("/srv/shiny-server/telemetry.sqlite"))
)

And I have tweaked one of my apps (https://shiny.psyctc.org/apps/CImean/) following the instructions in GitHub - Appsilon/shiny.telemetry: Easy logging of users activity and session events of your Shiny App. What I have done is (top of the app):

### CImean

suppressMessages(library(shiny))
suppressMessages(library(shinyWidgets))
suppressMessages(library(shiny.telemetry))

### trying to get telemetry working
telemetry <- Telemetry$new() # 1. Initialize telemetry with default options

# Define UI for application that does the work
ui <- fluidPage(
  ### next bit of telemetry
  use_telemetry(), # 2. Add necessary Javascript to Shiny

and at the start of the server:

# Define server logic required
server <- function(input, output, session) {
### final bit of telemetry
telemetry$start_session() # 3. Minimal setup to track events

I then looked at the dashboard example Appsilon provide but really don't understand how to configure it for my sqlite implementation nor do I really understand the library at all so I'm stumped to even know if what I've done is logging things. I strongly suspect it isn't as the telemetry.sqlite file I created isn't changing date stamp or size despite my using the app.

I would appreciate any help with this. Failing direct help, is there somewhere to find reliable shiny consultants. My work is zero income charitable so I can't afford Appsilon's sort of price structure. Are there places to go below that?!

TIA,

Chris

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.