New tidyverse code optimisation

Hi everyone.

I've got a flexdashboard using shiny from a couple of years back, before the big expansion of the tidyverse.

I'm looking at updating it to streamline things a bit, and I feel like some of the ways I did things were a bit of a kludge because either I didn't know any better, or possibly because the packages weren't around when I made the dashboard.

The basic workflow is as follows:

Data: Monthly measures of a rate of use for 45 different antibiotics, across five different hospitals
Currently stored in an excel spreadsheet, 5 tabs, rows 01-mmm-yy, columns the antibiotics, cells the usage

The dashboard imports the xlsx into five data frames, one per tab, then "tidies" them into frames:

> str(hosp1)
Classes ‘tbl_df’, ‘tbl’ and 'data.frame':	5580 obs. of  4 variables:
 $ date      : POSIXct, format: "2006-01-01" "2006-02-01" "2006-03-01" "2006-04-01" ...
 $ antibiotic: chr  "dicloxacillin" "dicloxacillin" "dicloxacillin" "dicloxacillin" ...
 $ usage     : num  17.58 5.47 31.63 5.29 9.72 ...
 $ hospital  : chr  "hosp1" "hosp1" "hosp1" "hosp1" ...
>

These frames then form the working files for the dashboard - which is mostly done by individual hospital, with drop-downs to select what appears on the graph.

Code is available here
and the sample datafile is here.

My specific questions are:

• Is there a way to import the data directly into a list that I could then apply the functions across altogether rather than repeating it the way I have?
  • Is there an even more elegant way of doing it than that?
  • there are also a couple of my ponderings inline in the code about easier ways of doing things.

I know this is vague and without reprex, but I'm trying to come up with a more streamlined way of doing things while getting to grips with all the new tidyverse commands!

Thanks in advance.
[edit fixed the broken code link]

addit: if you're super motivated, i have the dashboard live for you to look at, but not sharing it widely because it's got the actual hospital names in it! Feel free to message me

Hey Trent,
Currently when I click the link to the code, this is what I see (R Markdown, but all basically on one line).

If this is a me-related thing, don't worry about it. If not, could you perhaps use a gist or some other reader-friendly format?

Oops. My bad. Fixed now!

Ok, so I've done some happy hacking and managed to get the data import into this:

abx <- "district_abx.xlsx" %>%
  +     excel_sheets() %>%
  +     set_names %>%
  +     map_df(~ read_excel("district_abx.xlsx", sheet = .x), .id = "hospital")

keys <- colnames(select(abx, -hospital, -date))

tidy_abx <- gather(abx, keys, key = "agent", value = "usage")

nested_abx <- tidy_abx %>%
  +     group_by(hospital) %>%
  +     nest()

Now I need to get working on how to apply the functions over the table...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.