Need Help: Error with R Package Download from CRAN Archive - Unsupported URL Scheme

Hey everyone,

I’m running into an issue while trying to build an image involving multiple R packages. The problem seems to be related to downloading package sources from the CRAN archives. Specifically, I’m getting the following error:

Error: Unhandled Exception: child_task=1456877316 child_task_status=failed: Error building image: Error fetching evaluate (0.19) source. Error downloading package source: Unsupported url scheme: CRAN/src/contrib/evaluate_0.19.tar.gz

Execution halted

This isn’t just for the evaluate package but for multiple packages I downloaded from the CRAN archives.

I’m using R version 3.6.3, and here is a glimpse of renv.lock for evaluate package:

"evaluate": {
"Package": "evaluate",
"Version": "0.19",
"Source": "URL",
"Repository": "CRAN",
"RemoteType": "url",
"RemoteUrl": "https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/evaluate/evaluate_0.19.tar.gz",
"Requirements": [
"R",
"methods"
],
"Hash": "1bc62e3c0df6511d3437e3ed54d49635"
},

Does anyone have advice on how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Anusha

First, that's a pretty old R version, so if you can update, consider doing that. Most probably your issue will go away.

Second, to help with this issue, we'd need to know more about your system. E.g. what is the output of these?

sessionInfo()
getOption("download.file.method")
getOption("repos")

Third, can you show the full command that you were using and also the complete output that you get?