Mapping species occurrence points

I'm quite beginner at R so I'm struggling with what I've found on google for how to plot species occurrence data points in R (I know how in QGIS but my supervisors want R) and then fill in 10km or 1km grid squares where the species has occurred. The photo shows what I mean but has been produced in DMap

The main issue I have is that my csv file of records only has alphanumeric Ordnance Survey grid references - can R plot with these or do they need to be split into easting/northings or even decimal latitude/longitude? and if so, how?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Try the osg_parse() function in the rnrfa package.

The RNRFA package allows convenient conversion between UK grid reference and more standard coordinate systems. The function “osg_parse()”, for example, converts the string to easting and northing in the BNG coordinate system (EPSG code: 27700), as in the example below:

# Where is the first catchment located?
someStationsThe RNRFA package allows convenient conversion between UK grid reference and more standard coordinate systems. The function “osg_parse()”, for example, converts the string to easting and northing in the BNG coordinate system (EPSG code: 27700), as in the example below:

# Convert OS Grid reference to BNG
osg_parse("SN853872")

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rnrfa/vignettes/rnrfa-vignette.html

Also see: Converting (British) National Grid references | R-bloggers

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.